AT A GLANCE
Dawn Upperman passed my PMP® exam on first try. He began studying for the PMP® exam when the PMBOK® Guide was still in its 4th edition. But as he did not feel confident enough to tackle the exam before the switch to PMBOK® Guide Guide 5th Edition, he postponed the exam and prepared for the exam using the updated study materials. Below is his lessons learned:
- Practiced creating a brain dump everyday for two weeks before my exam. His brain dump includes all the knowledge areas, process groups as well as formulas.
- Written his own notes on Rita’s PMP® book to connect the dots of the subject matters.
- Referred to the PMBOK® Guide Guide when needed. The PMBOK® Guide does an excellent job in describing the logical flow of ITTOs.
- Practiced tons of sample exams. You are advised to do at least 2 full-length PMP® practice exams and take notes of wrong answers.
- Created an electronic notebook with screenshots of PMBOK® Guide Guide to highlight areas that requires further studies.
- Be Dressed comfortably on exam day. 4 hour is a long time. Don’t let other things to distract you. If you get to the exam centre earlier, you might be able to start the exam earlier than the scheduled time. I took two breaks during the whole exam.
~ PMP® Exam Lessons Learned by Dawn Upperman