AT A GLANCE
Navdeep Singh passed the PMP® exam for 2 months’ really hard study. Below is his lessons learned:
PMP® Exam Prep Resources
- Rita Mulcahy’s PMP® Exam Prep book (major resources)
- PMBOK® Guide
- Joseph Phillip’s CAPM®/PMP® book
- PMP® notes found on PMZilla
PMP® Practice Exams
- Head First
- Oliver Lehmann (75 questions)
- PMstudy free practice exam
- Simplilearn practice exams
- Momkibo PMP® exam ITTO trainer
- Techfaq practice exam
- Ajithn practice exam
- The average score of all practice exams was less than 60%
- I didn’t memorized ITTOs but sought to understand them
- I always did the knowledge gap analysis for wrong answers for the practice exams and this was really helpful to improve my understanding of the subject
- I tried to formulate the correct answers for questions before looking at the choices.
- Studies 2-3 hours daily for a maximum of 2 months would be enough for the PMP® exam.
- I divided the PMBOK® Guide into 3 parts for studies and cycled through them:
- Part 1: PM framework, integration, scope, time, cost management areas. (the most important part)
- Part 2: quality, hr, communication management areas.
- Part 3: risk, procurement and ethics/social areas.
- I also practiced brain dump for the following:
- process groups and processes matrix
- organization matrix types and roles and responsibilities
- all PMP® formulas
- percentage for 1,2,3,6 sigma
- I read all the books once during the last week
- I tried to memorize all the headings in the books while driving the car or walking or before sleep etc.
~ PMP® Lessons Learned by Navdeep Singh